Collegian: News

All the news that's fit to blog

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Dogs are cool, but not "sucide" cool

Pets are great. They provide companionship, comic relief and love.

I'd have to say I'm a dog guy at heart ("Ye like dags?"). They're great. From adorable puppies to comforting adults, dogs are the greatest pet in the world. It's a scientific fact.

So I guess you could say I love animals just as much as the next person, but apparently not as much as C.N. Madanraj and his wife, Tarabai. I guess the "Mad Dog Madanrajs" (as their friends called them) just couldn't go on after the loss of their beloved "Puppy" and decided to end it by hanging themselves one Sunday afternoon.

I think I'm less puzzled by the fact that they killed themselves than that they couldn't think of a better name for their dog. I mean, if you value a pet as highly as the Madanrajs apparently did, why not give it a real name?

In other news: Keith Richards told NME Magazine (a music magazine, apparently, though I've never heard of it) that he mixed his dad's ashes with some cocaine and snorted the pile in loving memory of his father. Raise your hand if you don't find this surprising.

Richards has since clarified the tale in a recent AP story which uses an extraordinary amount of exclamation points (apparently Richards was very emphatic — lots of fist-pounding and whatnot).

I always knew coyotes were awesome and this recent story just proves it. Those Warner Bros. cartoons always gave them a bad wrap. I'm just wondering how a coyote got to downtown Chicago. Did he ride the L just like everyone else? I just like that he stood there and modeled the "Blue Steel" from Zoolander for the photographer.